February 23, 2009

oh, what a night to be famous

New this week:
I have indeed tried soy milk. While the flavor varies greatly from regular milk (it has a thinner feel than whole milk, is a tan color, and has a rice like taste to it) it's alright. It's good alternative to milk and it doesn't spoil as quickly as milk, but I think from now I'll just limit all milk consumption. 

Last night the eighty first Oscars were held on ABC and was a most spectacular event. The re-vamping that was done to make the show more entertaining went over fairly well. The stage was beautifully designed and mostly everyone looked fabulous (with a few exceptions. also, did Mickey Rourke and Adrien Brody forget to shower?) Granted the song and dance act with Beyonce, Hugh Jackman, and the kids from High School Musical was weird. The worst part being the kids from High School Musical. I was rather jealous of Beyonce because she got use Hugh Jackman as a pole. Damn her! I missed the first hour of the show but caught the best original screenplay for Milk. 

My top three favorite Oscar moments of this year:
-When Best Short Animated Film La Maison en Petite Cubes won and Kunio Kato accepted his award and ended his speech by saying, "Domo arigato Mr. Roboto!".  (I had secretly wished he'd say it and it did, therefore, I must have psychic abilities.)
- When Man On Wire won Best Documentary and James Marsh and Simon Chinn invited Philippe Petit onstage and he make a crazy speech and then proceeded to balance the Oscar on his chin (this is also because he's a crazy frenchmen)
-When Joaquin Stiller and Natalie Portman presented. I mean Joaquin Phoenix. Er, I mean Ben Stiller. I started watching The Late Show with David Letterman with my parents in the eight grade and continue to watch it (by myself now) almost every night or the next day on the dvr. So, to see one of the greatest moments of that show (that Joaquin stole from Andy Kauffman) made fun of on air at the Oscars with Natalie Portman saying "What is wrong with you? You look like you work at a hasidic meth lab." was quite possibly the best Oscar moment of all time (except maybe when Adrien Brody made out with Halle Berry). The moment has been criticized for being an 'inside joke' in Hollywood and the viewers outside the US might not understand it. And to that I say, Screw you! This is America! We can do whatever the hell we want at the Oscars because we own it! If anything, it set a path for the Oscars to become more like New Hollywood as opposed to what Hollywood used to be. Hollywood now isn't as classy as it once was, but is forging it's own way to the people of this century. 

And props to Kate Winslet (one of my favorite actresses), for her Best Lead Actress in The Reader. It was her first win and well overdue. I suspect the ticket sales are going to rocket up this week for Slumdog Millionaire, which I still would very much so like to see, along with The Reader (but mostly because I read the book about a year ago and liked it very much.) Overall though I feel I enjoyed this year's Oscar's more than previous years and perhaps it was because of the new format or watching with a friend and having wonderful pineapple upside down cake, all in all it was a pleasant experience

No comments:

Post a Comment